Pain in the lower back occurs often enough. Patients say "it hurts my shoulders", "pinched lower back pain", "lumbago in the lower back". If the pain inconsiderate, they can say "lower back pain", "stretches for lower back pain", "dental pain of the loins". Sometimes the pain described as a burning sensation in the lower back.
The lower back is called the lower part of the back - from where running out of ribs to tailbone. Maybe a special word for a designation of the restraint lasted only determine the place where it hurts. After all, if the back hurts, then in most cases it hurts the shoulders.
What can be pain in the lower back
Most often, back pain occurs suddenly, sharply, and wear a sharp character. In such a case, to talk about lumbago (obsolete folk name - lumbago). Pain described as sharp, "shooting". The movement of the bound, sometimes even impossible to straighten the back. With every movement the pain intensifies.
Attack of pain can last a few minutes, but may take more than a considerable period of time (up to several days). Can it be that the seizure will pass and the pain more about yourself not remind you, but often the pain returns and the person gets used to it, that the shoulders of the he may hurt.
Pain in the lower back can not only be acute (sharply), it can wear a drawing of the character and be chronic. Slack, but the constant feelings of pain in the lower back, sometimes aggravated, for example during physical exertion, infectious diseases, hypothermia, etc., are called the lumbar region. Sometimes directly head no, but in the lower back persists stiffness, pain experiencing discomfort.
Causes of pain in the lower back
Pain in the lower back may be called a variety of causes, however the statistics are then the following:
- in 90% of cases, pain is caused by problems with the spine and the muscles of the back;
- at 6% it is the cause of the pain - this is a kidney disease;
- 4% - diseases of other internal organs (urinary system, colon).
The proportion of the spine make up the majority of all cases of pain in the lower back, and it's not a coincidence. In humans it is the body center of gravity is located just at the level of the lower back, and while walking the entire burden is practically fully falls on the lumbar department of the spine (in animals moving on four legs, is not such a problem). And when a person sits, the vertebrae of the lumbar and sacral have the same force of pressure that the scuba diver and weighs 170-meter layer of water. Naturally, that this area is particularly vulnerable.
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system that cause pain in the lower back:
- a pinched sciatic nerve. The nerve roots leaving the spinal cord, compressed the adjacent vertebrae. When this occurs the sharp, shooting pain. As usual, the pinching of the nerve roots becomes possible, due to degenerative changes in the spine (osteochondrosis): the intervertebral discs separating the vertebrae from each other fall apart, the gap between the vertebrae narrows and a sharp movement (tilting, rotation), can lead to the disturbance of the nervous shoots;
- sciatica (sciatica). The pinched nerve roots may be inflamed. Inflammation of the nerve roots is called sciatica (from lat. radicula - "backbone"); for the indications of inflammation of the sciatic nerve is sometimes used a special name - sciatica. When the defeat of the sciatic nerve can be observed lumboischalgia - pain in the lower back, it also extends into the buttocks and legs in the course of the sciatic nerve;
- herniated disk - protrusion of a fragment of the intervertebral disc into the spinal canal. Arises as a result of trauma or degenerative changes of the spine (degenerative disc disease);
- myositis of the lumbar muscles. Myositis - inflammation of skeletal muscles. The cause of myositisa lumbar muscles can be hypothermia or dramatic tension.
Also pain in the lower back may be caused by such illnesses as multiple sclerosis, the degenerative sacroiliitis, osteoporosis.
Prevention of back pain
The emergence of pain in the lower back is often caused by the careless attitude to their own health. The pain may be caused by:
- long-term stay in the same position (for example, when working in a seated position);
- incorrect posture;
- cheap mobility;
- excessive physical activity.
All of these factors contribute to the development of diseases, which are manifested by pain in the lower back. The risk of the occurrence of pain can be reduced if you adhere to the following advice to doctors:
- watch your posture;
- avoid awkward posture at work sitting down. It is desirable that the knee was slightly higher hip joints. Use a low chair or stand under the legs. Lay a small pillow between the lower back and the backrest of the seat;
- when working in a seated position is necessary from time to time to get up, to move. Come on every hour on the hour five minutes of the break; how to properly lift weights
- sleep preferably on an orthopedic mattress (elastic and sufficiently strong);
- lifting weights is necessary due to the stretching of the knee joints and not your back. It is necessary to squat, bending your knees, and then straighten them, while maintaining the straight line of the back;
- transfer weights, it needs to be spread evenly between both hands, carry the entire load in one hand (heavy bag) cannot be;
- a day you need to do complex exercises, aimed at strengthening the muscles of the abdomen and back.
Back pain in kidney disease
When pain in the lower back, it is important to define, what is their cause - the pathology of the musculoskeletal or renal disease (as well as other internal organs). The diagnosis should be carried out by a doctor. However, there are symptoms that allow to assume, that the pain may be caused by problems with the kidneys or (and) to other organs of the urinary system. At the onset of the symptoms of the data it is advisable to immediately visit a doctor-urologist. Kidney disease (or wider - the genitourinary system), it can be considered if the pain in the lower back pain is accompanied by:
- the overall deterioration in well-being (apathy, drowsiness, weakness, increased fatigue);
- swelling of the eyelids, of the face. Swelling especially expressed in the morning, after waking, and subsides by the evening;
- an increase in body temperature, chills, sweating;
- loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting;
- pounding or painful urination;
- by changing the properties of the urine (this may be a more concentrated color, or vice versa - a colorless, contain mucus or blood);
- increase in blood pressure.
It is also an important sign that the pain in the lower back pain is caused by problems of the internal organs, and not the musculoskeletal system is its independence from the position of the body: by changing the position of the body and limbs, pain is intensifying and is not reduced. However, during prolonged stay in a standing position in the pathology check the pain can be amplified. Has the importance and localization of pain. When kidney disease the pain is most often observed on one side (because usually suffer only one kidney). Kidney pain may not be limited to the lower part of the back, and come out in the course of the ureter, in the groin, to the outer sexual organs, the inner surface of the thighs.
Hurts the shoulders: what to do?
Pain in the lower back - it is a symptom of the disease that requires treatment. Therefore, it is necessary to contact the doctor. But in the case of a sudden attack of acute pain ("lumbagoa", typical of rheumatic pain), is needed primarily to alleviate painful. Doctors advise:
- use moderate heat. Tie on the lower back woolen scarf or woolen zone;
- take pain medication;
- it is necessary to adopt a position that allows you to relax the muscles of the back. It is recommended to lie down on your back, on a firm flat surface (board), the legs should be raised and bent at the knees, what's under them need to put a rolled up blanket or pillow. (On the floor up side, it can throw out the draft).
Offered a position - not a dogma. The patient should feel relief, and therefore, it is possible other position, for example, lying on the plate to the same bend your legs at the knees, press between them a cushion. You can try to lie down on his stomach and pull his legs, a closed cylinder under the ankle joints. If the severity of pain failed to download, it doesn't mean that the doctor is no longer needed. Without proper treatment, the seizures will be repeated, and the situation overall is getting worse.
Which doctor to turn to with a complaint of pain in the lower back?
When back pain is best to consult to the doctor-to the physician, because first of all it is necessary to determine the disease what organs causes pain. Depending on the outcome of the examination, it may be necessary to the advice or other medical professional. Can be assigned:
- consultation of the doctor-a neurologist - to assess the condition of the spine, back muscles, and nervous system;
- consultation of the doctor-the urologist - in the case of suspected diseases of the urinary system;
- consultation of the doctor-the gynecologist - when suspected or the presence of chronic diseases of the organs of the female reproductive system;
- general analysis of blood and total urine analysis - to confirm or exclude the inflammatory nature of the disease;
- radiography of the spine ;
- ULTRASOUND examination of the hip joints ;
- as well as other studies.