The tailbone is called the lower spine, which is made up of 4-5 crude accrete the vertebrae. These vertebrae serve the mainstay of the tail in human ancestors, and now the coccyx – elementary, superfluous authority. However, this remnant in the event of injuries and various illnesses can cause a person serious pain and discomfort: it is impossible to properly sit and walk, even to sleep, it's hard to find a comfortable position.
Often the patient and for themselves, cannot determine the exact localization of the pain, and complained to doctors of pain in the tailbone (this pain is called the anorectal). Pain actually, the coccyx is called coccyalgia.
Experts must decide whether it is caused by pain, disease and accidents, actually the tailbone, or the same feelings of pain coming from other organs (bowel, pelvic bones, urinary organs) and simply "give" in the tailbone. From the solution of this question depends and treatment.
Causes of pain in the coccyx
- The consequences of the injury.
- A disease of the whole spine, affects and the coccyx (osteochondrosis, displacement of the intervertebral disc, pinched nerve endings, etc.).
- Disorders of the muscles and nerves of the pelvic floor.
- Pathological processes in the bones of the pelvis.
- Diseases the direct or sigmoid colon (hemorrhoids, sigmoid, proctitis, fissures of the anus).
- Ptosis crotch (e.g. due to heavy birth).
- Injury to the perineum during childbirth (bleeding in the subcutaneous-fatty fiber, the coccyx).
- Excessive enlargement of the coccyx at a difficult birth.
- Scar deformation of the anus, arising as a complication of surgery.
- Disorders of the intestinal activity, which lead to frequent constipation or diarrhea, and, in consequence, to the habit of sitting long on the toilet.
- Diseases of the organs of the urinary system (cystitis, adnexitis, etc.).
- Cyst of the coccyx.
- The habit of constantly sitting on the seats.
- The emotional turmoil, the stress.
- Tight clothes (jeans), providing pressure on the coccyx.
- Idiopathic pain (pain of uncertain origin). These pains may suddenly appear and suddenly disappear. Roughly 1/3 of all the pain in the coccyx refers to the idiopathic.
The characteristic pain of the coccyx in a variety of conditions
Pain after injury
Injury most often causes thick, strong, sharp pain in the coccyx. Trauma to the coccyx (fracture, cracks, bruises, dislocation, displacement) may occur in the case of unsuccessful falling or impact to the area of the buttocks. Pain after injury can wear the character of the seizures, or be permanent. While walking and in sitting position is better. The localization of the post-traumatic pain is different: in the coccyx or the surrounding area (above, below, side).
Usually the pain in the coccyx arise immediately after the injury. But in many cases it may be slightly different, and quickly passing, and a few years later, when the patient forgot about the injury, suddenly appears a strong, burning pain.
Pain in the coccyx, perfectly combined with pain in the lower back, sacrum
In osteochondrosis, the cyst of the spine in the lumbar or sacral department characterized by a combination of pain in the tailbone with pain in the lower back, in the sacrum. While the main complaint of the patient on the back pain, and by the way – what is the pain, "gives away" in the tailbone.
The same clinical picture have been observed during the violation of nerve endings in the lumbar and sacral spine. Violation of the sciatic nerve (sciatica) is accompanied by a burning sensation, sharp pain in the tailbone or above it.
Lumbar and sacral pains accompanied by pain in the coccyx also with the hemorrhoids, diseases of the rectum.
Pain in the coccyx, when the state
These pain atypical for injury to the coccyx. Most often they are associated with post-operative scars in the groin, or spikes in the pelvic cavity, formed also after the surgery.
Pain in tailbone when tilted
Pain when the slopes are usually the result of chronic inflammatory processes in the organs, located near the tailbone (in the gut or urinary bladder, the uterus and its appendages).
Pain in the coccyx when you tilt arise in the presence of the patient the following diseases:
- the sigmoid;
- inflammation of the bladder;
- endometritis, etc.
Pain, gives in the coccyx
As already mentioned, the pain gives in the coccyx, are typical for degenerative disc disease, cysts of the spine, and also on the hemorrhoids, inflammatory processes in the hip joints, diseases of the rectum, etc. Such pain may cause and postoperative scars.
Pain in tailbone when sitting
The cause of these pains is the habit of constantly sitting on the seats. The tailbone is in the wrong position. In the blood vessels supplying his blood, arise stagnation. This leads to the deposition of salt in the vertebrae that form the coccyx, and to the emergence of pain.
Pain in tailbone when sitting they complain about athletes – cyclists and people engaged in horse riding. In them is the cause of the pain is different: microtrauma of the coccyx, resulting in the persecution of those specific sports.
Pain in coccyx while sitting is possible in women after childbirth, when it came to his deformity (excessive extension of its intervertebral joints).
Finally, the pain in the coccyx, increasing sitting, is typical of a dermoid cyst of the coccyx. Dermoid cyst – this is a congenital anomaly of development, which lies in the education inside of the tailbone cavity filled with skin cloth with the growing hair.
Gnawing and dragging pain in the coccyx
Pain pain in the tailbone may occur when inflammation of internal genital organs (when inflammation of the prostate gland or adenoma in men the prostate and in inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes in women).
Pulling pain in the tailbone is another symptom of degenerative disc disease of the lumbar or sacral flag of the spine. Sometimes it occurs in the case of hemorrhoids, as well as during prolonged sitting on the toilet in connection with frequent constipation.
The pain below the coccyx
The pain of this kind arise when leaving the crotch area, if it is available, post-operative scars in the area of the anus, in diseases of the rectum. Are characterized by pain beneath the coccyx and injuries (fractures, bruised, subluxation' of the coccyx), which occurred several years ago.
Pain above tailbone
Painful sensations localized over the coccyx, are characteristic of neuralgias' (inflammation of the nerves emanating from the lumbar or sacral flag of the spine).
Pain in tailbone when monthly
These pains may accompany many of the gynecological and neurological diseases. Reasonable will begin the exploration with the advice of the gynecologist, only the abolition of gynecological pathology, to go to a neurologist.
Pain in the tailbone during pregnancy and after childbirth
In pregnant women quite often leads to painful feelings in the area of the coccyx. Pain in the tailbone during pregnancy can have various causes:
- Trauma to the tailbone that occurred several years ago, and which is not recovered.
- The lack of calcium and bone system.
- Inflammatory diseases of internal genital organs.
- Physiological changes in the body: when preparing for the birth activities of the organs of the pelvis changes its usual position. The fetus grows, the uterus increases, shifting authorities in the area. Tailbone while this deviates back. And because the vertebrae to the coccyx spliced with each other, this deviation is very painful.
Pain in the coccyx after childbirth says an experienced gynecologist, that there has been birth trauma: difficult birth caused bleeding in the soft tissues that surround the coccyx, or to the excessive extension (this is possible in the large sizes of the fetus).
Pain in the coccyx in men
In men, pain in the coccyx can be caused by the so-called "pellentesque disease". This disease arises when frequent driving on unsprung transport (crawler tractors, in the army – tanks, armored vehicles). Pressure on the coccyx when riding on such a technique of excessive. It may become the cause of inflammation of the coccygeal stroke, or cysts of the coccyx. This move, or a cyst, constitutes a hollow tube, which runs under the skin from the end of the coccyx and end blindly.
Inflammation of the coccygeal running and the so-called "pellentesque disease". If the inflammation passes into the purulent stage, most often arises fistula – pus broke out. The treatment is only surgical.
How to cure a sore coccyx
A preliminary survey
For the effective treatment of pain in the coccyx it is important to properly determine its cause. The patient with such pains, must apply in the first instance to the proctologist. This specialist if necessary sends the patient to (patient) gynecologist, neurologist, surgeon, osteopath. Sometimes is necessary the help of a therapist.
Each of these physicians not only examines the patient but also very detailed in his requests. The patient should be prepared in detail tell about the nature of pain, its localization, remember the earlier injury and delegated them to operative intervention.
Of patients with pain in the coccyx, the exact diagnosis cannot be established. Then apply symptomatic treatment, and in most cases it leads to good results. Sometimes the same pain in the area of the coccyx are held by themselves, without treatment. But hope that it is not needed - when you experience such pain, contact your doctor.
The basic aspects of the treatment
In most cases pain in the area of the coccyx treated by conservative methods (i.e. without surgery). Comprehensive treatment includes ensuring the patient calm, analgesia medical resources, restoration of impaired blood circulation with the help of massage, manual therapy, physical therapy, exercise, therapeutic physical training.
All found related diseases are subject to mandatory treatment.
For the removal or alleviation of negative emotions (after consulting a therapist) neuropsychotropic drugs.
No help can to provide doctors only when pain in the tailbone in pregnant. Anti-inflammatory and pain medication medication pregnant contraindicated. Radiology diagnosis is also excluded. Therefore, women must endure the pain in the coccyx, the fact that under it a soft pillow or inflatable rubber circle in the shape of a donut (sold in pharmacies).
To sit on such a bike is recommended not only pregnant, but also to all patients with pain such localization. This is a pretty simple device eliminates the burden and pressure on the coccyx while sitting, thereby reducing feelings of pain.
Manual therapy, massage, acupuncture
Pain in the coccyx greatly facilitated by digital massage of the muscles of the rectum and massage the muscles of the pelvic floor (if it is available with their cramp).
Techniques of manual therapy, carried out by an experienced specialist, improve blood circulation in the area of the coccyx, to remove stagnation of blood, relieve spasm of the muscles and help restore range of motion of the coccyx.
Acupuncture (acupuncture) is often applied for pain in the coccyx, significantly reducing their intensity. The right choice of biologically active points of acupuncture can completely eliminate the pain.
Of the methods of physical therapy for pain in the coccyx, the following applies:
- treatment of ultrasound;
- electrotherapy (electrode is inserted into the rectum);
- diadynamic currents;
- wraps from the paraffin;
- medicinal mud;
Therapeutic physical education
Engage in physical education, to perform morning exercises men with a sore tailbone not only possible, but necessary. With some restrictions: the exercise should be excluded running, jumping, brisk walking, sharp inprobus movement, straining.
Gymnastics with pain in the coccyx must include the following exercises:
- Lying on your back on the floor, bend your legs at the knees and release them to the side. Put the palms of your hands on the inner sides of knee joints. Try to combine the knee, at the same time acting against the arms to this movement.The number of repetitions – 8-12 times with short stretches (10-15 sec.).
- In the same position it holds among the squatting ball (football, volleyball or any other of the same size). The palm of your hands put on the belly. With the effort to compress the knee the ball for 5-7 seconds, at the same time, the palm prevents the protrusion of the abdomen.The number of reps – 6-8 times with the same intervals for rest, as well as in the first exercise.
- Lying on your back, hold the ball between the legs of the fixed leg. With the effort to compress the ball stop after 5-7 seconds. The number of reps – 6-8 times; intervals – 10-15 seconds.
- Lying on your back, to dilute in your hand bend your legs at the knees and lift the pan for 3-5 seconds. The gluteus minimus muscles must push. The number of reps – 6-8 times; intervals – 10-15 seconds.
All the exercises in the pain in the coccyx, the patient should perform slow, measured, rhythmically, resting between repetitions of the exercise. You can turn on pleasant music. For greater efficiency it is recommended to do a comprehensive exercises twice a day.
For pain in the coccyx folk medicine uses the following means:
- The impact of magnet: circular magnet moving in the area of the coccyx, in a circle, in a clockwise direction for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day.
- Compress with tincture of valerian: a piece of cotton fabric wet, the pharmacy tincture of valerian, to put on the sore spot. From above cover with a piece of polyethylene, then some warm layer (wool, scarf, etc.). Lock compress the plaster and leave over night.
- Fir oil to rub into the area of the coccyx, 3 times a day. Promotes the removal of inflammation and reduces pain.
- Smoothing iodine: at night, before bed, pre-heated the area of the coccyx grease tincture of iodine, and heat wrap. Repeat no more than 2-3 times a week. Duration of treatment – 1.5-2 months.
- A poultice of blue clay: add to 500 g. clay a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, stir. Before bedtime cause a layer of this mixture on the sore spot, cover with polyethylene, to insulate (as each tile) and leave over night.
- Rubbing the juice of radish: mix 300 ml of fresh juice of radish, 100 ml of alcohol and 200 ml of honey. Rub into the sore place 3 times a day. Store mixture in the refrigerator in a glass jar with a tightly closed lid.
- Ointment with mummy (at the turn of the coccyx): 1/2 oz. mummy mix with that amount of rose oil to the ointment of the consistency of thick cream. Rub into the area of the coccyx, 2 times a day.