Medical hospitalization is not the only way to treat osteoarthritis. The disease has a chronic course and is difficult to eliminate. In advanced forms of pathology, irreversible changes occur and a treatment regimen is prescribed to maintain the state that a person follows at home. Treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint at home, in addition to traditional medicine, includes various folk recipes that increase the effectiveness of drugs, restore blood circulation and improve well-being.
Contraindications and recommendations
Before starting any treatment, the patient should familiarize himself with the contraindications to the use of the treatment regimen. Proper assessment of the condition and full familiarization with contraindications will help protect against complications of the disease and make treatment as effective as possible.
The main contraindications to traditional medicine:
- oncological diseases;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- bronchitis with an asthmatic component;
- allergic reactions to herbal medicines or foods used in a particular recipe;
- Pregnancy and breast feeding;
- chronic diseases of an infectious nature;
- period of exacerbation of systemic diseases;
- birth defects or diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- hepatitis with ascites.
Other contraindications include pathologies of the endocrine system in the form of goiter (autoimmune or toxic nature in origin).
Before starting treatment, it is recommended to consult a doctor, since it is difficult, if not impossible, to cure arthrosis of the knee joint at home with folk recipes alone. During the consultation, the doctor explains what arthrosis of the knee joint is and how to treat it at home with medication, the patient's task is to find suitable folk recipes. It is better to immediately make a selection of several of the most suitable drugs and inquire about the possibility of their use and the desired effect.
At home, it is recommended to cure the disease:
- after an accurate diagnosis. You will first have to undergo a series of tests to determine the nature of the origin of the disease and its stage;
- with an integrated therapeutic approach. Folk recipes only supplement drug therapy. The whole stage of treatment should be done under the supervision of a doctor and with regular clinical tests;
- external and oral agents can be used only if there is no allergy to the components of the drug.
It is possible to eliminate pain and heal the knee in close cooperation with a specialist. Adding folk remedies to the treatment regimen increases the speed of recovery and the effectiveness of the main treatment.
It should not be based solely on traditional medicine, because osteoarthritis of the knee joint should be treated at home in a complex way. The basis of any therapeutic course is a change in diet.
With malnutrition, there are 3 main violations:
- metabolic disease. One of the main reasons for the development of arthrosis is the lack of nutrients in the cartilage tissue;
- micronutrient deficiencies. The knee joint needs building materials for tissue regeneration, even with a good metabolism, in the presence of a deficiency of trace elements, rapid wear occurs;
- obesity. Eating fatty food and junk food not only damages the metabolism, the health of internal organs, but also causes an increase in body mass index. Heavy weight causes increased stress on the legs, especially on the knee and hip joints. The risk of developing osteoarthritis in overweight people is several times higher.
A balanced diet is the key to patient recovery and symptom reduction. With a well-composed diet, all body systems are restored, and body weight can also be corrected. Diet is the first step in any therapy.
Before treating gonarthrosis of the knee joint at home, it is important to enrich the diet with essential mineral and vitamin substances:
- vitamin D is produced in the body when sunlight hits the skin, and is also found in cod liver, dairy products;
- B vitamins are found in eggs, fish, nuts, green vegetables, seafood;
- calcium, more often enters the body from milk and its products, as well as sesame, parmesan, basil;
- vegetable fiber: all kinds of vegetables, herbs and fruits.
The basis of nutrition should be complex carbohydrates, they should make up to 80% of calories in the diet. The condition of the joints is positively affected by dishes prepared from tendons of animal origin: natural jelly, aspic, extracts from the joints of bulls, jelly, etc.
The diet should be more:
- various dairy products;
- fresh vegetables with herbs, but you should eat less cabbage, tomatoes, peppers;
- pasta and bread (it is better to choose whole grains);
- various cereals, except oat flakes;
- all kinds of nuts;
- low-fat varieties of fish and meat;
Nutritionists recommend giving up fatty, salty, acidic and fried foods, as well as eliminating the consumption of coffee and alcohol. It is worth limiting, but not completely excluding, the use of various oils, muffins, sweets and sodas. When cooking, it is better to give preference to boiling, baking and steaming.
Before treating arthrosis of the knee joint at home with the help of nutritional correction, it is better to cleanse the body of the remains of harmful foods. The intake of vegetables, fruits, rice, as well as decoctions from the leaves of juniper, birch or nettle, will help eliminate toxins and improve digestive function.
How to fix the knee with arthrosis?
Symptoms and home treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint are controlled by the doctor, he additionally recommends limiting the mobility of the damaged limb. When the load is distributed on the injured knee, the severity of the symptoms decreases and the progression of the disease slows down. With the help of a special bandage, the knee is fixed in a position that limits its motor capacity and reduces the load on the joint. The knee brace helps distribute the load evenly across the entire limb.
It is recommended to treat gonarthrosis with a bandage at 1-2 degrees of development of pathology. At home, the device can be replaced with an elastic bandage, it helps to stop body aches. Periodically, the bandage should be removed (after 1-2 hours) to restore blood circulation in the knee.
Basic rules for wearing a bandage:
- the bandage is applied tightly, but sparingly. Strong compression of adjacent tissues often leads to exacerbation of the disease;
- before applying the bandage, the leg is straightened;
- burdock leaves or a honey compress will help to enhance the effect of the bandage, they are placed under the material;
- in case of pain or discomfort, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
The technique is also prescribed at the stage of relapse of the disease, but then it is better to give preference to special knee braces. With their help, it is possible to stabilize the condition, as well as to prolong the period of remission.
How to treat knee osteoarthritis at home?
The main condition of treatment is that the disease must be cured safely, any risky procedures are contraindicated. To determine the risk, the patient should always consult the attending orthopedist or rheumatologist. When communicating with a doctor, it is often possible to develop more effective treatment methods.
It is important to remember that some of the home therapy methods are not applicable, as they can cause dangerous side effects: increased inflammation, allergies and disruption of various internal systems.
Gymnastics for osteoarthritis
Joint diseases almost always require special care for the joint. Recovery is possible with sufficient physical activity, but physical inactivity or hard work can harm the patient. Gymnastic procedures accelerate blood circulation in the limbs, reduce the severity of symptoms.
One of the best ways to treat arthrosis of the 2nd degree knee joint at home is gymnastics. The complex includes:
- Immediately after a night's sleep, the "bicycle" exercise is performed. With breaks, the movement should take 15 minutes.
- Lying on your back, pull your leg, bent at the knee, then straighten it. It is recommended to do 20 repetitions for each limb.
- They sit on a chair and straighten their legs, fingers reach out to each other. In the process of movements, it is important to focus as much as possible on well-being. If excessive tension is felt, the amplitude may be reduced.
- Regular squats. For the approach, it is best to perform 30 repetitions.
- Frequent walking, at least 20 to 30 minutes a day.
This method can not only be treated, but also prevent the aggravation of the stage of the disease, thereby improving the condition of the articular joint.
cold and hot
You can apply cold and hot compresses:
- cold therapy is used exclusively at the initial stage of the disease. It helps eliminate pain, reduce swelling, and also has an anti-inflammatory effect. You need to prepare the ice cream in advance and think about a convenient body position so as not to do it when preparing the compress. It is important to sit for 30 minutes without moving, the legs will be somewhat elevated. An ice pack is applied to the knee, it is fixed with a bandage or plaster and waits half an hour in this position;
- warm compresses can only be used if there is no swelling on the knee. Heated sand, salt, etc. can be used as a heating agent. After laying the compress, there should be no burning sensation, if it bakes, it is cooled hot. The method helps to eliminate pain.
Medicinal infusions and decoctions
One of the most effective ways to relieve pain from arthrosis of the knee joint at home is decoction, tincture for internal use and external application. They are designed to slow osteoarthritis disorders and improve well-being. The recipes are based on various medicinal plants and extracts. With their help, the metabolism in the joint tissues is restored, pain sensations are reduced, and the removal of harmful substances from the synovial fluid is accelerated.
Compositions for oral administration
Treatment of arthrosis of the 2nd degree of the knee joint at home can also be carried out with the help of oral infusions, but their use is prohibited:
- people with a tendency to alcohol addiction;
- patients with hepatic and renal impairment;
- in violation of the function of the gastrointestinal tract and other disorders of internal organs.
The first and second stages of the disease often involve the use of oral medications:
- decoction on bay leaves. The plant eliminates swelling in the knee and helps cleanse the body. Cleaning procedures will require the use of 10 g of dry bay leaves and a glass of boiling water. The mixture is set on fire, boiled and boiled for 15 minutes. Then the broth is poured into a thermos and left to infuse overnight. The prepared mixture is consumed for 3 days, 200 ml in small sips throughout the day. It is important to respect the dosage, no more than 200 ml per day, and also to respect a diet based on: vegetables, fruits, herbs;
- tincture on lilac flowers. For cooking, 100 g of lilac dye is useful. Flowers are poured with vodka (you can use distilled water). The infusion process takes 1-2 weeks, then the composition is filtered and stored in a dark room. Take 30-40 drops before eating for breakfast and dinner;
- herbal tincture. It will take 2 tbsp. I. parsley seeds, dandelion rhizomes (crushed), buckthorn, fennel. The listed herb has positive reviews due to its effective analgesic effect. All ingredients are mixed and poured into 0. 5 liters of boiling water. Before using the composition, the mixture is allowed to cool. Take 2 tbsp. I. daily in the morning before eating;
- tincture on beets, cranberries and radishes (black variety). The listed ingredients are peeled, they are passed through a meat grinder. 0. 5 l of brandy is poured into the resulting composition, then the whole thing is kneaded. In a dark cool place, the mixture is infused for 10 days, this is necessary to acquire medicinal properties. After decantation, the mixture is filtered and left in the refrigerator. Take 1 tbsp. I. in the morning, 10 minutes before meals.
Infusions for external use
Popular recipes for external application tinctures:
- on birch buds. For the preparation, use 100 g of the main ingredient and 500 ml of vodka (diluted alcohol is suitable). In order for the liquid to absorb all the useful substances, you need to leave it for 1 month in a dark place. The prepared composition is rubbed into the knees daily;
- on dandelion flowers. The flowers of the plant fall asleep in a glass container (preferably tinted glass) and pour vodka. The infusion process takes 30 days. A suitable location should be at room temperature and protected from direct sunlight. After filtering the dandelions, rub the knees daily in the evening with the composition. A woolen scarf is attached to the product.
Compresses in the treatment of arthrosis and methods of use
When comparing the effectiveness of applications and ointments, the former show the best results. It is better to give preference to proven recipes during treatment.
- We cut the cabbage and load it into the juicer.
- The juice of the plant is used to soak a warm handkerchief, which is then applied to the sore spot.
- Use a compress once a day before going to bed.
From cabbage there is another recipe for making a compress that does not require chopping the leaves. Its preparation:
- Whole leaves of cabbage are separated, which are then diluted with vinegar and honey (3 to 1).
- The sheets are coated with a mixture of vinegar and honey, only the side that will be in contact with the knee is treated.
- Apply leaves on the leg.
- From above, the mixture is covered with cling film or a woolen scarf.
Both compresses improve well-being and eliminate discomfort. The duration of treatment is 1 month.
Compress with honey and bile
The preparation of the compress is carried out in several stages:
- Glycerin, honey, therapeutic bile, 5% iodine solution and 10% ammonia are mixed.
- The composition is left in a dark cool place for 10 days.
- Before application, the composition is slightly heated and deposited on the fabric.
- The patch with the drug is attached to the leg with cling film, and a warm shawl or scarf is put on top.
To increase the healing properties, the procedure is carried out at night, and the compress is left until the morning. Patients note the complete elimination of pain, sometimes the effectiveness is not inferior to injections.
- Horseradish roots are washed on a medium grater.
- The substance is steamed in heated (but not boiled) water.
- The substance is applied to the fabric and attached to the knee.
- Hold the remedy until the pain subsides completely.
The compress will bring a positive effect when collecting fresh leaves from a plant in an ecologically clean area, it is better to choose a plant far from the road and other sources of pollution.
How to cook:
- The leaves are stacked and a hot pan is placed on them.
- They wait until the leaves evaporate to begin to release useful substances, then they are applied to the diseased area.
- Cover with a layer of plastic wrap and warm material.
Before applying the leaves to the skin, it is recommended to treat it with vegetable oil, preferably corn or olive.
Compress with dimethyl sulfoxide
This is a drug with an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect, which is often used to make compresses for arthrosis. For treatment, a 50% solution is used, that is, the initial composition of dimethyl sulfoxide is diluted with water 1 to 4. The mixture is impregnated with a gauze bandage and applied to theaffected area. A plastic bag or film is placed on top, the napkin is tied with a cotton cloth. Duration of socks - 30 minutes. Therapeutic course - 10-14 days.
According to their properties, applications do not differ from compresses. There are many varieties of applications in traditional medicine. Often cooked leaves of aloe, celandine, burdock and cabbage are used to relieve pain and eliminate inflammation. Before application, all leaves are washed with high quality and beaten a little (you can crush, cut), the purpose of the procedure is to leave the juice of the leaf. Applications are placed on the affected area, they are wrapped with a warm cloth. Keep the sheets worth about 6-8 hours.
A rather unusual method of therapy is sheet therapy. Food cards change the energy of muscles and joints. Patients claim that after the application came relief from pain and inflammation. The sheet is wrapped around the entire limb or diseased area.
Treatment of osteoarthritis at home often includes the use of therapeutic baths. They have a beneficial effect not only on the pathological organ, but also improve the condition of the whole organism. The water is heated to body temperature - 38 ° C, the patient is recommended to stay in the water for up to 20 minutes. Hot baths are contraindicated.
To give healing properties, additives are used:
- decoction on birch branches;
- extracts of lavender, pine needles;
- sea salt;
- essential oils: bergamot, lemon, pine.
The procedure is common in sanatoriums and resorts, but you can stock up on mud (it must be curative) in depots or buy it in pharmacies, the technique is also applicable at home. Mud applications warm up the joint and enrich the cartilaginous tissues with useful microcomponents.
During the warm-up with mud, the following are also used:
- sea salt;
- the sand;
- mustard (dry).
Healing ointments and frictions
For the preparation of rubs and ointments, only natural ingredients are used. Bear or badger fat can be used as a base, but vegetable oil is a more economical option. To increase the effectiveness of the ointment, it is necessary to provide intensive blood flow to the knee by heating the limb with self-massage.
Garlic is a storehouse of useful substances, it is not surprising that rubbing is done with it.
How to do:
- The head is cleaned and crushed.
- Pour the ingredient into a glass container and add 200 ml of oil.
- Place the container in a dark place for 1 week.
There are no restrictions on the time of use of rubbing, but in the evening the effectiveness is slightly higher. In the evening it is better to use it due to the specific smell. If rubbed in the morning, a person will smell strongly of garlic.
- Prepare 50 g of ground root, which is mixed with 120 ml of vodka.
- Let the mixture infuse for 2 weeks.
- Apply rub to affected area and hold until discomfort subsides.
Eggs and apple cider vinegar
Preparation and application:
- A mixture is made of equal proportions of egg yolk and apple cider vinegar.
- You can use it immediately after preparation, the number of applications is 3 times in 7 days.
- It is recommended to apply in the evening and leave until morning, wrapped with a warm cloth on top.
Manufacture and use:
- Mix 100 g of honey with 3 g of mumiyo.
- After preparation, the mixture is applied to the skin near the diseased joint, preferably at bedtime.
- The treatment lasts 1 week.
You can supplement the recipe with the internal use of mumiyo, but the remedy has contraindications.
Mustard warming ointment
- Mix 100 g of mustard (in powder form) with 200 g of salt of a small fraction and a small piece of melted paraffin.
- Beat the mixture until a paste forms.
- The composition is placed in a glass container and infused for 12 hours.
It is best to use the ointment in the evening.
Celandine and olive oil
- Remove the top of the plant (the root is not used), you should get 3 tbsp. I.
- Pour 200 ml of vegetable oil (olive or sunflower).
- Infuse the composition for 2 weeks.
The course of treatment is 1 month, the composition is used daily. Rub the oil infusion with massage movements.
Warming camphor ointment
To prepare the ointment, you need to have 2-3 chicken eggs, a bottle of 96% alcohol (100 g) and 50 g of mustard camphor. Whisk the eggs in a blender until the egg is frothy and all the ingredients are well combined. The mixture is applied to the affected area at night, the place is covered with a bandage on top. The course continues until recovery.
In diseases of the joints and muscles, animal fat, especially badger fat, is extremely effective. Other types of healthy fats are pork and interior. The substance is rubbed into the affected joints for 1 month.
As auxiliary therapies, non-traditional areas of medicine are often used. They are based on the experience of oriental healers, combined with modern scientific achievements.
The basis of osteoarthritis treatment can be used:
- ozone therapy;
- treatment with leeches;
- pharmacopuncture combined with acupuncture;
- chiu energy treatment;
- manual processing.
The only drawback of the direction is the complexity of the implementation with one's own hand, since it is necessary to have good knowledge in each direction.
Hirudotherapy or leech therapy
The positive effect of leeches is due to the special composition of saliva, which leads to the elimination of puffiness, the relief of inflammation and the relief of pain. Hirudin and other specific enzymes enter the patient's bloodstream, which increases blood fluidity, stimulates an increase in the quality of blood circulation and relieves pain.
Apitherapy or treatment of knee joints with bees
Bees are very useful not only with their waste, but even their poison can help a sick person with arthrosis. Bee venom belongs to the group of strong allergens, before using apitherapy it is important to test for an allergic reaction, otherwise the patient will face serious complications.
Treatments with bees lead to irritation of certain points and small areas of tissue with a small dose of poison. The procedure helps activate blood circulation and improve nerve conduction of the endings. The technique is associated with pain, but it brings a good effect.
The technique involves the impact on bioactive points, the procedure has a number of different effects:
- restores metabolism;
- helps strengthen the immune system to fight pathology;
- accelerates lymph flow and blood flow;
- relieves spasmodic and painful phenomena;
- improves well-being;
- restores the functions of the joints.
Today, acupuncture can be practiced in several versions:
- acupuncture using fine needles;
- pharmacopuncture involves increasing the effect with the help of drugs;
- moxotherapy involves the use of cones and cigars (usually wormwood), which are used to treat the diseased area;
- acupressure, taking into account the knowledge of the energy channels through which energy flows. Redirecting body forces to restore the knee has a positive feedback.
Therapy with the help of movements is prescribed for all joint pathologies. The method of performing movements is determined individually.
With the regular execution of the procedure, it is possible:
- learn to move correctly so as not to injure the painful joint;
- increase muscle tone;
- develop links;
- increase stretch;
- restore cartilage function.
Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is especially dangerous due to complications and irreversibility of processes. Only timely treatment and adequate therapy will help to avoid disability or severe pain. Home treatment is the best way to prevent the development of the disease and improve the quality of life.