Pain in the lower back in English-speaking sources called pain in the lower back (low back pain). Pain often contributes to the tension in the lumbar spine, limitation of motion, and antalgic scoliosis. Acute pain in the lower back may last from several days to several weeks.
The reasons for, frequency of and risk factors for pain in the lower back
Pain in the lower back occurs in almost every man at least once in your life. It should be noted that pain can be in any part of Your back, but, however, the pain in the lumbar spine occurs most often. This is due to the fact that the lumbar vertebrae form the maximum load from the weight of Your body.
Pain in the lower back is in second place in the number of visits to the doctor, right after viral infection.
You can feel the pain in the lower back after an increase in the severity of the sudden movement, after finding in the course of time in one position, or after injuries of the spine.
Acute pain in the lumbar spine are most often caused by a shift of the intervertebral disc and spinal injuries.
Causes of pain in the lower back:
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
- Intervertebral hernia and protrusion of intervertebral disc
- Compression fractures due to osteoporosis, myeloma disease, hemangioma of the vertebra
- The tumor in the lumen of the stenosis
- Fractures of the spine after injury
- Prolonged muscle tension
- Anatomically narrow spinal canal
- Curvature of the spine (scoliosis, kyphosis, kyphoscoliosis, disease Chairman Mau)
- Aneurysm of the aorta
- Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis
- Infection of the spine - osteomyelitis, discitis, tuberculosis of the spine
- Pyelonephritis, kidney stones disease
- Complicated during pregnancy
- Gynecological diseases (endometriosis, ovarian cysts, ovarian cancer, etc.)
Symptoms of pain in the lower back (lower back pain)
The pain may be diverse: sharp, dull, pulling , burning, may be accompanied by tingling and tingling, numbness.
The intensity of pain in the lower back pain can vary greatly - from mild to unbearable pain, interfering do even a small movement. The pain can be combined with pain in the hip, pain in the lower extremities, pain in the stop.
Diagnosis of pain in the lower back
First you need to go to the doctor-neurologist. Doctor asks You questions about the nature of pain, its frequency, repeatability. The doctor tries to find out the cause of the pain and begin the treatment of simple methods (ice, mild painkillers, physical therapy and necessary exercise).
In most cases, these methods of treatment lead to a decrease in back pain. During the examination the doctor will determine the exact location of the pain, its radiation, neurological reflexes. Most people with pain in the lumbar spine region are recovering after a period of 4-6 weeks.
Diagnostics includes magnetic resonance imaging ct (. MRI) in the lumbar spine, ct lumbar-sacral spine, x-ray of the spine.
Because the most common cause of back pain is Intervertebral herniated lumbar-sacral spine, then it is primarily necessary to do an MRI of the lumbar spine. This study will also help eliminate most of the reasons for pain syndrome, such as swelling in the lumen of the stenosis, tuberculosis of the spine, fractures of the spine, myeloma disease, anatomically narrow spinal canal, spondylolisthesis, different form a curvature of the spine, spondylosis and spondiloartrozom. If Your neurologist is not by MRI, then do it yourself. The performance of the device MRI should be 1 Tesla and more.
It's not worth it to start the diagnosis with an x-ray image and ct scan, these methods are not safe. It is possible to do in the first place only when a suspected fracture of the spine.
Here are some tips on what to do when back pain:
- Reduce physical activity in the first two days after the beginning of the seizure. This will help relieve the symptoms of the disease and swelling in the head area.
- Do not sit with a forward tilt, until the pain completely subsides.
- Take pain medication remedy only in case of unbearable pain. It is better to do the intramuscular injection than drinking analgesic medicine. This will protect the stomach walls from direct contact with the anti-inflammatory agent. Try to avoid excessive ingestion of medical resources. Do not use to treat hormonal means, if the pain in the lower back pain is not associated with autoimmune disease.
- You sleep in the fetal position, place a pillow between your legs. If You usually sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees
- A common misconception is the idea of what you should limit physical activity for a long period of time. Bed rest is not recommended!!! If you have no increase in temperature, weight loss, involuntary urination and bowel movements, then you should stay active as much as you can stand it. You can limit its activity only on the first two days after the occurrence of the pain. Start doing light aerobic exercise. Walk on the holodeck, swimming will improve blood flow to the muscles of Your back. Consult your doctor for the selection of the exercise, to cause amplification of the pain syndrome.
Most people feel significantly better after the first week of treatment. After 4-6 weeks, a considerable part of the patients the pain completely disappears.
In what cases it is necessary to immediately seek medical help:
- Pain in the lower back combined with pain in the legs and pain in the stop
- The pain will not allow you To take yourself about yourself serve
- The pain, combined with incontinence of urine and stool
- The combination of pain in the lower back with numbness in the buttocks, hip, legs, stop, groin area
- If you Have already been back pain previously
- If the pain lasts more than 3 days
- If you are taking hormones
- If the pain in the lower back appeared after the injury
- Previously, he was diagnosed with cancer disease
- If You have lost recently for unexplained reasons